Position: Finance Officer
Area Manager Supervision of:
1 Finance Assistant Duty station:
Jos, Plateau State Travel:
75% Project number:
NGFM2022 Duration and type of contract:
5 months (renewable) All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values:
dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability.
These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
• Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of the support functions responsibilities.
Generic responsibilities (max 10) These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title.
The responsibilities shall be short and essential.
Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
• Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
• Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action
• Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
• Ensure proper filing of documents
• Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function Specific responsibilities
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention.
This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
• Daily supervision of finance assistants
• Reconciliation of NRC bank accounts and cash boxes
• Establish a good tracking system for advances and ensure that clearance of advances is done on time.
• Ensure that weekly, monthly finance reports are prepared on time.
• Daily verification of POs, PRs Bid Analysis, per diem claim and other documents within the finance officer threshold
• Verify that all transactions have complete supporting documents and ensure that all costs are timely booked into Agresso on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
• Support to ensure month end closure is completed according to the timeline provided in the finance handbook
• Support to verify the monthly National Staff Payroll and posting
• Follow up to ensure prompt processing of daily vendor payments and Ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before payment is done.
• Ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before payment is done.
• Travel to field sub-field office to monitor and support the finance assistants
• On a monthly basis Ensure all deductions are timely remitted to statutory authority according to the provision of the law.
• Collaborate with the financial institutions to ensure that queries related to payments are timely resolved (return payments, under/over payments of staff, suppliers and contractors incorrect account details etc)
• Support the Finance Coordinator facilitate monthly BVA meetings, Project summary and spending plans
• Facilitate daily cash counts and safeguard of cash in the office.
• Facilitate audit activities
• Perform other related tasks that will be assigned by line manager Critical interfaces By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons.
Relevant interfaces for this position are:
• Rebooking of Cost – Program Development Mangers
• Supporting Documents & Bid Openings – Logistics & Procurement Staff
• Monthly National Staff Payroll – HR Coordinator/ HR Manager
• Remittance of Statutory Deductions – Tax authorities
• Year end Audit – Auditors
• Payment and Enquires – Vendors Scale and scope of position Staff:
1 Finance Assistant Stakeholders:
Tax authorities, Social Security authorities, vendors, banks Budgets: None Information:
Intranet, Agresso, finance handbook, Donor/NRC policies and procedures Legal or compliance Anti-corruption policy, NRC code of conduct, Terms of Employment
• Competencies Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results.
They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
• Experience from working as a Finance officer in a humanitarian/recovery context.
• Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Fluency in English and Hausa
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
• Good skills in Excel and Word
• Good knowledge of accounting packages; preferably Agresso
• Good knowledge to initiate finance SOPs
• Good knowledge of the North – Eastern Nigeria context
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in similar position preferably with an NGO
• Minimum of University degree in related field
2. Behavioral competencies (max 6) These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job.
NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies and the following are essential for this position:
• Handling insecure environment
• Planning and delivering results
• Empowering and building trust
• Communicating with impact and respect
• Performance Management The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual.
The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
• The Job Description
• The Work and Development Plan
• The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
• The End-term Performance Review Template
• The NRC Competency Framework